Distribution Power System Engineer
RLC Engineering is seeking a Distribution Power System Engineer to join our team of professionals. Under general supervision of the Manager or other designated professional power system engineer, this position performs a substantial role in power system analysis and study work. The incumbent must be competent to operate various power system software tools required for performing power system engineering studies. The incumbent must also be capable of manipulating power system databases and establishing base cases for load flow and time domain modeling in distribution planning. The incumbent must also possess an understanding of basic power system calculation methodologies, terminologies, and techniques.
- Learn and operate power system software tools required for performing power system engineering studies.
- Perform power system engineering studies using standard software tools such as CYME, PSS/E, PSCAD and ASPEN. Areas of analysis will include effective grounding, short circuit, thermal and voltage assessment, flicker and tap analysis, loading, protection, risk of islanding, and temporary overvoltage analyses.
- Comprehend and demonstrate a good working knowledge of power system planning, design and operation.
- Prepare written reports which explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, recommendations and observations of power system engineering studies.
- Analyze results and develop conclusions on power system problems.
- Maintain a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical skills.
- Work independently and with others while maintaining a high level of initiative and self-motivation.
- Keep department manager informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
- Participate in client business development.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Technology degree from an ABET accredited engineering school or an equivalent amount of experience in the electrical engineering field.
- Minimum of one (1) year of proven work experience in power system operations or planning with emphasis on analysis and studies work.
- Capability to effectively perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate within the organization.
- Proficiency and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.