Principal Electrical Engineer
This position performs a substantial role in power system design of electric power distribution, transmission, substation and renewable projects and interfaces directly with clients to establish new projects and to develop proposals in response to requests for work. The incumbent must be competent to operate various CADD processes, line layout equipment plans, substation layout/equipment plans, along with the ability to complete required design calculations and production of both preliminary and final design drawings and documentation. The incumbent must also possess an understanding of both basic and complex electrical engineering calculation methodologies, terminologies, and techniques and have the ability to train others in design analysis.
This position may also direct the work of others or develop assignments with clear and specific objectives as a project manager. This individual handles all solving problems without the assistance of others. This individual also demonstrates ability to review work with professional judgment and appropriate quality controls. Professional Engineering license preferred or in-depth subject matter expertise widely recognized by industry peers.
- Ability to develop proposals including a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives and clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed including estimated cost for performing the study.
- Experience managing projects with clients and internal resources and providing input on resource schedules and work assignments.
- Perform design studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of substations, protection and control, and automation and integration projects.
- Ability to comprehend and apply industry standards used to design substations, protection and control, and automation and integration projects. In addition, work may require development and review of technical specifications, drawings and standards of equipment and projects.
- Ability to prepare and review written reports which explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, design criteria and recommendations and observations.
- Ability to analyze results and develop conclusions on electrical design problems being studied.
- Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical skills.
- Keep department manager informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
- Lead role in marketing to clients, organizing projects and proposals, identifying new and maintaining existing clients.
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments.
Other Functions of Position:
- Serve on industry committees and associations as appropriate where potential clients network.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate within the organization and outside with clients.
- Must have good PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
- Respected by industry peers as a subject matter expert in electrical engineering with demonstrated role in leading study efforts.
- Establishes Business Development goals.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Shall possess a four year Bachelor of Science or Technology degree in Electrical Engineering or an equivalent amount of experience in the electrical engineering field.
- Fifteen or more years of proven work experience in power system operations or planning with emphasis on analysis and system studies work. Higher education such as masters or doctoral degrees included.
- Professional Engineers License is preferred.