Principal Protection Engineer
RLC Engineering is seeking a Principal Protection Engineer to join their team of professionals. This position will serve as the department’s technical advisor and mentor for other Protection Engineers within the group. The incumbent must be well versed in the Transmission and Distribution protection schemes implemented by the Major New England Utilities and will be responsible for system protection engineering associated with electrical protective relay systems for generation, as well as transmission and distribution systems.
- Perform design studies and demonstrate a good working knowledge of relay protections involving logic diagrams, calculations report, relay database management, and coordination studies.
- Ability to comprehend and apply industry standards used to determine relay settings and develop schematics required in protection and control engineering projects. In addition, work may require development and review of technical specifications, drawings and standards of equipment and projects.
- Ability to prepare and review written reports which explain the purpose, methodology, data requirements, design criteria and recommendations and observations of protection and control engineering projects.
- Ability to analyze sequence of event recorder logs and relay data and develop conclusions on relaying design or setting problems being studied.
- Experience in relay setting calculations and coordination of Intelligent Electronic Devices and Numerical Relays. Must have ability to use ASPEN or equivalent software program and be familiar with SCADA systems, Remote Terminal Units and Real Time Automation Controllers.
- Experience in developing and reviewing protection and control schematics for distance, differential, and feeder over current and other common protections and major substation equipment.
- Maintains a program of personal study to expand and improve technical and analytical skills
- Keep department manager informed of status of all projects relative to pre-established expectations.
- Lead role in marketing to clients, organizing projects and proposals, identifying new and maintaining existing clients.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional experience focused on the development of protection philosophies, modeling of transmission/distribution systems and relay settings development.
- Professional Engineering License Required. Desired states: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate both internally and externally to the organization.
- Must have sufficient PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. MS Project experience is desirable.
- Experience with ETAP, Mathcad Prime, AcSELerator, ASPEN, CAPE, UR EnerVista, or SKM Power Tools preferred.
- Serve on industry committees and associations, as appropriate, where potential clients’ network.
- Experience managing projects with clients and internal resources and providing input on resource schedules and work assignments.
- Ability to mentor lesser experienced engineers and technicians.
- Possess ability to learn RLC’s Utility client protection standards and apply
- Proven ability to independently develop proposals which include a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives, clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
Excellent salary and benefits offered. Please submit resume and cover letter.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS.
RLC Engineering is an Equal Opportunity Employer