Protection & Controls Engineer
RLC Engineering is seeking a Protection & Controls Engineer to join their team of professionals. This position will serve as one of the department’s technical leaders and be part of the team that will mentor lesser experienced Protection & Control Engineers and designers within the group. The incumbent must be well versed in the Transmission and Distribution protection schemes implemented by the Major New England Utilities and will be responsible for system protection engineering design activities as they pertain to electrical protective relay systems for generation, as well as transmission and distribution systems. Knowledge of protective relay settings is a plus.
- Perform as technical lead for various protection system design activities for brownfield and greenfield projects.
- Provide technical guidance for various protection system designs for basic and advanced system topologies to ensure quality of deliverables while meeting individual client preferences.
- Take ownership of Quality Process for all design from conceptual to record documents.
- Lead internal training and development, and support management with the implementation and monitoring of staff development initiatives.
- Attend meetings and conferences and researches, as necessary, to keep informed of technical development in the power industry as it pertains to Transmission and Distribution Protection.
- Provide scope, schedule and budget project management support.
- Provide stakeholder communications support.
- Participate in marketing to clients, the review of client Requests for Proposal and contribute to the completion of competitive project proposals and bid responses.
- Knowledge of relay settings and associated protection schemes for transmission and distribution systems is a plus.
- Understanding Aspen for use as a primary tool to run various cases, interpret results and develop best possible bus, transformer, generator and line protection settings is a plus.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology is required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience focused on the protection system design modifications.
- Knowledge of modeling of transmission/distribution systems and relay settings development a plus.
- Knowledge of RLC’s utility client protection system design standards and/or ability to learn and apply the standards a must.
- Professional Engineering License Required. Desired states: Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate both internally and externally to the organization.
- Must have sufficient PC skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. MS Project experience is desirable.
- Experience with ETAP, Mathcad Prime, AcSELerator, ASPEN, CAPE, UR EnerVista, or SKM Power Tools preferred.
- Serve on industry committees and associations, as appropriate, where potential clients’ network or willingness to do so.
- Capable of managing small projects or tasks on larger scale projects and ability to mentor lesser experienced engineers and technicians.
- Proven ability to independently develop proposals which include a scope of work that details the established goals and objectives, clearly defines the deliverables and schedule of work to be performed.
Excellent salary and benefits offered. Please submit resume and cover letter.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS.
RLC Engineering is an Equal Opportunity Employer